Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Netiquette

I found that this site would be very helpful for someone brand new to the internet. I have been using the internet for some time now, so many of the topics discussed were areas that I was already familiar with, but for someone like my Grandma, or possibly a child, new to the World Wide Web, these rules would be of help. I thought one of the most important topics was "Rule 5: Make yourself look good online." This is important to me because I can see how easy it would be for a new internet user to make themselves look bad but writing out something wrong. Since our tones of voices cannot come across in writing most times, something that was supposed to be sarcastic sounding could be read as being mean or rude. It is a problem and I have seen first hand what can happen. This kind of ties into "Rule 1: Remember the human," in that it is easy to forget who you are talking to because they are not right there talking back. When writing something online, nobody is directly speaking to you in front of your face. I think this is kind of a way for people to express another side of themselves that they normally wouldn't express in public. I like how in this section they warn the readers about the dangers of having something bad written down. That is so important for people to understand. If you don't want the world to know about it, then its best for it to not be written about. The last topic that I read about was "Rule 8: Respect other people's privacy." I believe that this is one of the most important rules. These days, it seems like nobody really wants to be private when they are displaying their lives on their Myspace and Facebook's, but snooping around is just rude and inconsiderate. I think in some cases, it could be illegal, depending on the means in which a person snooped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment